quinta-feira, 4 de outubro de 2012

Secrets of a Queen…


I know I have the body of a weak and feeble woman, but I have the heart and stomach of a king.

I have to be perfect, I have to be whatever they want me to be… I am a virgin and they are always saying that I need a husband, but I can’t choose the one I want.
I tried to look strong, but I SOFER too, I am a simple human being not a machine they want me to be.
Some days ago, a pirate from England return here, show me what he found out when he was travelling… Oh travelling, travelling, travelling HOW I WICH BE ABLE TO PUT MYSELF ON A BOAT AND JUST GO… but I can’t my people need me, I am there queen.
When I first so him, I didn’t pay too much attention, he was just one more trying to get me to give him money… but then I fall in love, he had so much experience and so much interesting things to say about the three corners of the world… yesterday he put tears one my eyes when he described the New World, he used this exactly words: Can you imagine what it is to cross on ocean? For weeks you see nothing but the horizon, perfect and empty. You are living in the grip of fear. Fear of storm, fear of sickness on the board, fear of immensity.
So you must drive the fear down deep into your belly, study your chart, watch your compass, pray for a fair wind and hope, pure, naked, fragile, hope…
At first, it's no more than a haze on the horizon, so you watch, you watch, then it's a smudge, a shadow on the far water. For a day, for another day, the stain slowly spreads along the horizon taking form until on the third day, you let yourself believe. You dare to whisper the word: Land, land, life, resurrection. The true adventure coming out of the vast unknown, out of the immensity, into new life new world (Elizabeth and The Golden Age)
It’s beautiful right? Yah I know… it made me think that life would be so easy if I could chose the man I love and just go with him; build a family in this beautiful world… My counselors said to me that this New World was empty, virgin, untouched and the only thing we can do with him is get some resources, but in my dreams I saw houses, people, streets, noise, a place to live and be happy…
Sometimes I wish be just a regular woman, and not a queen because that can be a bless but also a course… the only thing that I can do is dream, dream with him, dream with the New World, dream with travels.
Oh, maybe sometime I will go…and just be nothing.
God Bless New World, God Bless Walter Raleigh!

Elizabeth.


Published by: Margarida






1 comentário:

  1. You have chosen Raleigh's soliloquy, which is, as we have seen, of one the most inspiring descriptions of the New World! I think that giving your text another perspective, namely the one of the Queen as a woman bound to duty but also has a passionate lover gives Raleigh's description an even more intense meaning and depth. Well done!

    ResponderEliminar